Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes - constructive suggestion!

Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net>:

> Now you're saying that we must be nice and polite to the PRC.  Let's
> all be friends!  (And not pay attention to the people crushed by the
> tanks.)  I remember Tianenmen Square; it seems that the world has
> mostly forgotten.

Worse things have happened since, and will happen soon.

The trouble with talking about "Chinese dissidents" rather than just
dissidents in general is that by targeting a particular regime you
distract people from the general principle of freedom of speech.

It would be similar if we were to talk just about Saudi Arabian and
Egyptian dissidents, for example.

I liked the sound of "Chinese dissident test" (it sounds a bit like
the "Chinese Room argument") but on balance I think it's better to be
regime-neutral.

Edmund