Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes - constructive suggestion!

Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:

> > > It has been suggested that this test be referred to as simply as the
> > > "Dissident" test.
> >
> > But the suggestion has not been taken.  The point isn't to hammer at
> > China--though such hammering seems well warranted--but to point to a
> > *particular* kind of government repression, and not government
> > repression in general.  The Soviet Union would do as well.
>
> That's silly.  I think people understand what a dissident is.  For
> instance, I may decide to join the Posse Comitatus[1] and write some
> code for them.  I probably don't want to release that code so the US
> government can see it.  Or, I may join the anti-Branden-Robinson cabal.
> It does not matter who the authorities are; the dissident wishes to
> avoid revealing her plans to them.

Of course.  But the point is to highlight a case where we are
generally in *great support* and *sympathy* with the dissidents, not a
case where we would rather they go away, or think it's trivial and
unimportant.

The point is to highlight a case where you not merely don't want
someone to see it, but where you have a significant chance of being
*executed* or put in *prison for life* if it gets seen by the wrong
people.

Like I said, "Soviet dissident" would do as well; so would "dissident
in Nazi Germany".  But "Indian dissident" or "Posse comitatus
dissident" just doesn't do the trick.

So I use the phrase "Chinese dissident", and I think I'm the one to
first frame the test in question on debian-legal in these terms at
all.

Thomas