Re: OSD && DFSG convergence

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003, Branden Robinson wrote:
> According to (2)(c) of version 2 of the GNU GPL, the only "code which
> announces" anything that you're not allowed to remove is the
> copyright notice and the warranty disclaimer.

There are four things that you are not allowed to remove:

1. copyright notice
2. warranty notice
3. redistribution under these conditions
4. how to view license

which I've marked in a portion of 2c) below for reference.

>     to print or display an announcement including an (1) appropriate
>     copyright notice and a (2) notice that there is no warranty (or
>     else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may (3)
>     redistribute the program under these conditions, and (4) telling
>     the user how to view a copy of this License.
>
> Strictly interpreted[1], that does not include a statement of the
> license terms, or a reference to same.

I'd argue that '4' includes a reference to the terms of the license.
[It's always been my understanding that the

   Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
   02111-1307, USA.[1]

clause (or similar) is the reference to the license required by '4']

Of course, if you're saying that the copyright statement doesn't
include a statement of the license terms or a statement of how to get
the license, that is my understanding as well.

Don Armstrong

1: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#SEC4
--
Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien
a ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien a retrancher.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu