Re: PHPNuke license

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> In the US, "Edicts of government, such as judicial opinions, adminis-
> trative rulings, legislative enactments, public ordinances, and
> similar official legal documents are not copyrightable for reasons of
> public policy" (Copyright Office Practices Compendium II section
> 206.01).

It is important to note though, that contracts are not edicts of
government. [Nor (unless I am severly mistaken) is the Copyright
Office Practices Compendium law in any sense of the word.]

    This manual, intended primarily for Copyright Office staff, is a
    general guide to practices and procedures.[1]

> The Supreme Court recently accepted a case that may clarify the
> extent of this exception (Veeck v. SBCCI):
>
> http://research.yale.edu/lawmeme/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=630

Unless SCOTUS does something remarkable, it is unlikely that their
ruling (if they claim the codes to be uncopyrightable) will extend
beyond the codes themselves.

> I have also heard the claim that private contracts are not
> copyrightable, but I've never seen law or precendent to support it.

That has been my general experience as well, although I have never
researched it thoroughly. I presume the Veeck case will provide some
more insight as to their status.

Don Armstrong

1: http://www.copyright.gov/compendium/
--