Re: GNOME Font Copyright

J.B. Nicholson-Owens writes:
 > Joe Drew wrote:
 > > Probably because Bitstream refuse to operate under any model but this
 > > one (i.e., to not let substandard fonts get used as the official ones),
 > > and they're more interested in getting things done than in blue-sky
 > > idealism?
 >
 > So you don't really know, you're just guessing?  Sticking to that "blue-sky
 > idealism" helped build the community we cherish today.

Because Bitstream refuses to operate under any model but this one
(i.e., to not let substandard fonts get used as the official ones, and
to prevent their competitors who sell fonts to simply sell Vera).

 > Why didn't GNOME choose to get involved with these fonts when
 > Bitstream releases them as Free Software fonts?

Because they had an opportunity to get fonts with a restriction that
doesn't matter much (if at all) to the free software community, but
which matters much to the creator.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | A government does enough
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | wrong to offset what it