Re: CLUEBAT: copyrights, infringement, violations, and legality

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:20:51PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 cfm@maine.com wrote:
> > Brandon's arguments are based on the reasoning of the Founding Fathers

<whine>Whose arguments?</whine>

> > when they first put together US.  Copyright was given by the government
> > to the artist to encourage creations so that the commonwealth would
> > benefit as the work became available without restrictions after a
> > LIMITED time.  The deal was "to promote growth of science, etc... which
> > benefit us all we'll give you (copy)rights for a limited time" after
> > which work became public domain.
>
> >From the utilitarian viewpoint, I quite agree, and it seems from the above
> that in the USA copyright was granted for utilitarian reasons and can be
> changed when circumstances change.

I freely admit that my reasoning is predicated on a Lockean contract
theory of government.  There is no such thing as a government without a
set of individuals to participate in it, just like any other social
organization.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    One man's theology is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    belly laugh.