Re: Help with the Bloom Public License

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:

> I would like to help Charles Bloom make the Bloom Public License (BPL)
> DFSG compliant. It's available at: http://www.cbloom.com/bpl.txt
> The version modified May 14, 2002 seems to have problems with it.

Very much so.  The license is kind of a mess in itself, and it's not clear
that the author wants his software to be free, even if the license were
cleaned up.

Permission to distribute modified copies is simply missing from the
license (though it's kind of implied).  Debian accepts few limitations on
this permission anyway, and the document seems to specifically exists to
make this as onerous as possible.

Further, all use restrictions must be removed.

> Item 2 asks that the distributor "MUST notify" "the recipient". I'm
> guessing that a license file is not good enough? If so, is there a way to
> make it mean that and still keep it DFSG compliant?

Is item 2 a typo?  Did he intend to write "must notify the author"?  Did
he intend to put a "that" instead of a period in the middle of the item?

Item 3 would be problematic if it had any meaning.  Debian does not accept
software with usage limitations.  Fortunately, 3A allows all usages, as it
defers to the GPL which allows all usages.

> Item 5 states that "BPL code may not be sold in any form." If item 3A
> (regarding GPL usage of the code) is clarified could item 5 be left?

No.  3a talks about usage, and is a no-op as I previously mention.  5 is
about distribution.  Users must have the right to sell modified
versions of the software.

If 3a said the software may be used or distributed according to the terms
of the GPL at the distributor's option, we'd be fine (this is known as
dual-licensing, where recipients can choose which license to use to
govern their distribution rights).  I'd make that it's very own item,
probably #1, if that's the intent.

> Item 6 seems to be an advertising clause. I forget the history with
> advertising clauses, but it at least seems undesirable.

Undesirable.  Acceptible in some cases, but this is a bit far-reaching.

Item 7.  I can't make heads nor tails of it, but it sounds either silly or
non-free, depending on what it means.

> Item 8 forbidding the sale of code and forbidding distribution fees looks
> like it needs to be removed

Yup.

> Item 9 requiring the "author" to be "notified" about commercial use may be
> a problem.

Any use restriction is a no-go.  Fortunately, 3A already gives the ability
to ignore item 9.

The last sentence in item 9 is insane.