Re: GNU TLS OpenSSL compatibility layer under GPL, not LGPL

Hi Shaul,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:50:57PM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
>   Can someone explain what is the problem with the following situation?
> In particular, why it is important here to have the OpenSSL layer
> relicense under the LGPL?

Think of the case of an LGPL library that wants to include SSL
functionality.  If it links against the GPLed GNU TLS layer, it cannot be
used by GPL-incompatible apps, because the GPL requires the application
to be distributed under the terms of the GPL; if it links against the
OpenSSL libs, it cannot be used by GPL apps, which require the same thing
of the libraries.

This requires quite a bit of contortion on the part of an organization
such as Debian trying to ship all three components (SSL libs, SSL-using
libs, and application) together in an operating system.  I was really
quite surprised to learn the gnutls OpenSSL compatibility layer was
GPLed, as this makes it almost useless to us.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer