Re: FSF has published GNU FDL version 1.2

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>

> I'm also curious about the meaning of this:
>
>   You may copy and distribute the Document in any medium, either commercially
>   or noncommercially, provided that this License, the copyright notices, and
>   the license notice saying this License applies to the Document are reproduced
>   in all copies, and that you add no other conditions whatsoever to those of
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   this License.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Does this mean I cannot add additional *permissions* that are
> conditional in form?  The GNU GPL permits this; it only forbids imposing
> further *restrictions* on users.

There seems to be some confusion here - the GPL certainly doesn't
allow a redistributor (or someone who creates a derived work) to
give more permissions than the GPL itself specifies.

For example, I cannot download the GCC source and redistribute it (or
a derived work) under the GPL plus the added permission to further
redistribute it in binary-only form without distributing the source.

You're right that if I create an *original* work I can chose to
dual-license it with GPL and some other license - but that's not
what the language you quote talks about.

> How, in fact, can the FSF stop copyright holders from licensing
> their works under whatever terms they please?

They cannot. The "you" must reasonably be interpreted to be the one to
whom the copyright holder speaks when he places his work under the
GFDL.

--
Henning Makholm                               "Hi! I'm an Ellen Jamesian. Do
                                        you know what an Ellen Jamesian is?"