Re: question about leaving lzw and unknown-license code in source

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 07:44:36PM -0800, Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Monday 11 November 2002 11:02 am, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > Fortunately, the lzw patent expires this coming June.
>
> Is that true?  That would be really nice!  (Finally, I can support buggy
> old browsers in my web application). No sarcasm -- lots of people are still
> using them, and I'd like to use some GIFs to keep them happy (I'm not really
> going into production mode until June anyway, probably).

I've heard rumors that derivative patents of LZW have been filed as a
gambit to keep the original patent from being effectively useful to
anyone.  Pharmaceutical companies play similar games (at least in the
U.S., where government-subsidized monopolies are considered an intrinsic
aspect of the "free market").

However, I've only heard rumors, not anything I'd consider definitive.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to