Re: Aspell-en license Once again.

Scripsit Kevin Atkinson <kevin@atkinson.dhs.org>
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Brian Nelson wrote:

> > However, this "license" contains the same questionable clause as the
> > aspell-en license:

> >   Therefore, it is safe to assume that the wordlists in this package
> >   can also be freely copied, distributed, modified, and used for
> >   personal, educational, and research purposes.  (Use of these files in
> >   commercial products may require written permission from DEC and/or
> >   the authors of the original lists.)

> This is not a statement of rights.  It is merely an assessment of how the
> DEC word list author views the situation.  He assigns no additional
> copyright to his work.

Yes, but do we then have any good-faith basis for assuming that one
can "use the files in a commercial product" (such as a Debian cd-rom
sold for profit) witout infringing anybody's copyright?

--
Henning Makholm                                   "No one seems to know what
                                       distinguishes a bell from a whistle."