cupsys + libssl + libgnutls = confusion.

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 09:22:45PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> config-scripts/cups-openssl.m4 in the cupsys source package contains the
> autoconf macro cupsys uses for this purpose.

Hey Adrian,
	I just looked at that
cupsys-1.1.15/config-scripts/cups-openssl.m4 and I find no mention of
GnuTLS in there at all. Then I took at look at debian/rules and
noticed that cupsys isn't even built with SSL or TLS enabled.

        ./configure --with-optim=$(DEB_OPTFLAGS)	\
	--with-cups-group=lpadmin --mandir=/usr/share/man	\
	--with-docdir=/usr/share/cups/doc-root --disable-ssl --enable-slp

So this leaves me with a few problems.

1. I still don't know what steps are neccessary to convert an OpenSSL
   program into one that uses GnuTLS for encryption.

2. Until #16748 - cupsys needs a "Build-Conflicts: libssl-dev" is
   resolved, any cupsys-pt client will have no encrypted CUPS server
   in Debian to talk to.

But...

Exhibit A

<http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.cgi#LEGAL2> states:

2. Can I use OpenSSL with GPL software?

	If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may
find it useful to choose an other license than the GPL, or state
explicitly that "This program is released under the GPL with the
additional exemption that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is
allowed."  If you are using GPL software developed by others, you may
want to ask the copyright holder for permission to use their software
with OpenSSL.

Exhibit B

<http://www.cups.org/faq0004.html>

In addition, as the copyright holder of CUPS, Easy Software Products
grants the following special exceptions:

2. OpenSSL Toolkit License Exception;
	a. Easy Software Products explicitly allows the compilation
	and distribution of the CUPS software with the OpenSSL
	Toolkit.

	From my understanding of the above two clauses, cupsys can be
built with OpenSSL support enabled. So why is it explicitly disabled
at the moment? Why do you call for GnuTLS support for cupsys in
#167489?  What is the official debian-legal position on this because
I'm really, really confused now...

Yours sincerely,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

* Andrew 'Netsnipe' Lau                   Computer Science & Sturep, UNSW *
*   "apt-get into it"                        Debian GNU/Linux Packager    *
*     <netsnipe(+)debianplanet.org\0>      <alau(+)cse.unsw.edu.au\0>     *
* GnuPG 1024D/2E8B68BD 0B77 73D0 4F3B F286 63F1  9F4A 9B24 C07D 2E8B 68BD *