Re: mindterm copyright (more opensslish stuff)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 03:17:19PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> After 5 months in Incoming, mindterm was rejected from the US archive
> due to possible license incompatabilities. The situation is pretty
> unclear so I'd appreciate advice.
[...]
>                               ssh-1.2.12 --------------------> openssh
>                               (free enough for openbsd)          (BSD)
>                                    |                               ^
>                                    |                               |
>                                    v                           (linked into)
> libdes-3.06  ----------------> ssh-1.2.26 ---------> mindterm      |
> (GPL/Artistic)                (mostly non-free;                    |
>     |                          DES is GPL/Artistic)                |
>     |                                                              |
>     |                                                              |
>     ----------------------------------> openssl --------------------
>                                     (BSD w/ad clause)

My head hurts.  :(

I wonder if it possible to reconstruct the existing mindterm code base
from all the known DFSG-free code using a recipe.  This recipe could
then be handed to the FTP admins.

Or perhaps the consensus of debian-legal is good enough for the FTP
team; it has been in the past.

I wonder what the delta between Tatu's ssh 1.2.12 and 1.2.26 is, and how
much of that affects mindterm.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory