Re: apsfilter license

On 26 Aug 2002, David Turner wrote:

>> The apsfilter license is a combination of the GNU GPL and postcardware
>
> Does apsfilterconfig link against any other GPL'd programs?

  No, it is a bash script. It also seems that all contributors of
apsfilter have transferred their copyrights to the primary author.

> Have you asked the author if s/he thinks this is a request or a
> requirement?

  The following is a quote from the apsfilter handbook which is
included in the package and also available at:
http://www.apsfilter.org/docs/apsfilter-handbook-stable.html

"4.1.1 License

 The current apsfilter license requires you to send a postcard to Andreas
Klemm."

  I believe this renders apsfilter into non-free software. The following
is a quote from the Free Software definition:
  "The freedom to use a program means the freedom for any kind of person
or organization to use it on any kind of computer system, for any kind of
overall job, and without being required to communicate subsequently with
the developer or any other specific entity."

  The following is from the GPL FAQ:
"Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software
must pay me a fee and/or notify me?
  No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If
people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to
notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free."

  Maybe the Debian apsfilter package should be moved from main into the
non-free category. Personally I have not yet configured my printer because
I don't like the apsfilter license.