Re: [Fwd: Re: font licensing]

Michael Cardenas <michaelc@lindows.com> wrote:
> 2] Distribute the fonts, provided that you include all of the
>    original associated files, free of charge.
>
> 3] Include the fonts in any non-profit software packages without
>    express written permission from the author.

I'm a little confused here.  Are you allowed to charge for the fonts
or not?  Debian needs, at least, to be able to charge for fonts "as a
component of an aggregate software distribution".

> 2. Modification rights and limitations.
>
> You may modify a font, provided that you meet all of these rules:
>
> 1] You may add or change glyphs in the original fonts, provided that
>    the original font name remains intact, but can be augmented.
>
> 2] You may distribute a modified font, free of charge, provided that
>    you include:
>
>   a) information stating that ?NIGMA FONTS and/or Brian Kent was the
>      original creator of the original font * @
>
>   b) the original font and it's associated files included with the
>      font package (OPTIONAL).

If this is really optional, I would put it at the end of the clause.  As in

  2]
    a)
    b)
    c)
  You may also, at your option, include the original font and it's
  associated files.

You can also remove it entirely, since it seems redundant.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu