Re: aspell-nl license

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> Also, in the case of word lists, it may be especially difficult to
> discern an independent creation from a modified work that has been
> stripped of its original copyright notice.  The more general-purpose the
> word list -- as is frequently the case with spell-checking applications
> -- the more challenging this process of discernment becomes.

I think it would be exceedingly unlikely to have two different English
wordlists that were exactly the same unless they actuall came from the
same source.

Regardless, arguing that it can be difficult to detect or prove
copying is a totally separate issue from whether copyright law
prohibits the copying in question.

Thomas