Re: aspell-nl license

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl>:
> > If the other person's word list is protected by copyright, and you
> > used that as a basis for your dictionary, you're making a
> > derived work.
>
> That doesn't automatically follow. You're begging the question.

I'm sorry? The definition of derived work is a work that
is a modified/extended version of another work. If I take
your word list and add my own words to the end, that's a
derived work.

The criterion basically is that there is some recognizable
part of the other work in the derived work. This may be very
hard to prove in the case of word lists.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, (almost) Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
Patents, copyright and IPR explained for techies:  http://www.iusmentis.com/