DFSG 4

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 07:01:06PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> How can they be "public domain" and subject to a "copyright page"?
> Answer: they can't.

Thomas,

I respectfully suggest that it is simply not possible to have a
worthwhile discussion with someone who does not understand the above
fact.

We may need to wait for someone in the TeX community to consult _Nimmer
on Copyright_, _Black's Law Dictionary_, or an intellectual property
attorney before any real progress can be made on this dispute, because
at present it appears that they absolutely refuse to accept Debian's
assertions as anything but some sort of self-serving deception and, more
importantly, as a sin against the church of Knuth.

I am sufficiently exasperated with the situation that I would no longer
be dismayed if TeX, LaTeX, Computer Modern, and everything else at issue
were to be moved into non-free.  The first two sentences of DFSG 4 were
drafted as a compromise to attempt to get free licensing out of Daniel
J. Bernstein and (apparently) the TeX and LaTeX communities.  However,
neither of these parties have expressed any interest in abiding by the
intent of the DFSG in other respects, so it is a misguided and pointless
compromise.

Is there, in fact, any other software that would need to be pulled from
main if DSFG 4 were eliminated and DFSG 3 rewritten as follows:

3. Derived Works

The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
original work.  The license must explicitly permit distribution of
modified works in whole or part.  The license can require a modified work
to bear a cosmetic indication of its modified status.  The license must
not restrict functional, technological, or algorithmic modifications in
any way.

?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     No math genius, eh?  Then perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you could explain to me where you