Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net> writes:

> Well, earlier you claimed that only LaTeX community is completely
> confused and misguided about our licenses. Now you you seem to claim
> that both TeX users and Knuth himself do not understand what he
> wrote. A rather cheeky notion.

I spoke of those LaTeX people who have been posting here.  I said that
Knuth understands what he wrote, but that he does *NOT* seem to
understand the copyright law very well at all.

> % THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE cmr10.mf BY D E KNUTH.
> % IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!
>
> You must have mightly good eyes to see there something "you can modify
> there files in any way you want". I must admit my eyes are not as
> sharp as this.

It contains the clear intent that you *can* modify the file, provided
you change the filename.  It does not say *anything* about the very
different filename "cmr10.tfm".

> > I place preference
> > on the actual text of the licenses rather than Knuth's apparent
> > misunderstandings of them.
>
> Thomas, may I use this phrase in my collection of quotes for
> signatures?

No.  It is out of context and chosen by you for the purpose of ridicule.

Thomas