Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> From: tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> Date: 08 Aug 2002 14:01:29 -0700

> The CM fonts prohibit *all* modification--whether with changed names
> or not--AFAICT.  That makes them completely nonfree.  It has nothing
> to do with TeX, but with the CM fonts license.

This statement is not correct.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cmbright/readme

`Computer Modern Bright' is a family of sans serif fonts for
TeX and LaTeX, based on Donald Knuth's CM fonts.  It
comprises OT1, T1 and TS1 encoded text fonts of various
shapes as well as all the fonts necessary for mathematical
typesetting, incl. the AMS symbols.

Or read the history of EC fonts.

--
Good luck

-Boris

But modifying dpkg is infeasible, and we've agreed to, among other things,
keep the needs of our users at the forefront of our minds. And from a
user's perspective, something that keeps the system tidy in the normal
case, and works *now*, is much better than idealistic fantasies like a
working dpkg.
        -- Manoj Srivastava