Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:43:37 -0400
> From: Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org>

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:40:14PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > So the package name gets changed, and a couple lines gets added to the
> > description. Boo hoo. Trivial and irrelevant.
>
> Which has been done, already, no? s/tex/tetex/.

Glenn, to say the truth, I am appaled by the low signal/noise ratio on
the group. This question was already discussed here and answered by
David Carlisle. Why do I need to repeat?

Ok, I am patient. The tetex-* packages distributed by Debian are NOT
"free TeX-like systems". Instead, they are sets of integrated
typesetting tools, including:

- Knuthian TeX (TM)
- several TeX-like systems (pdfTeX, e-TeX, Omega)
- many free fonts
- many useful tools
- several macro systems (plainTeX, LaTeX, AMSTeX, etc)
- scripts integrating all this together

Since this is a huge collection, it is NOT licensed under single
license (like Debian cannot be licensed under a single license). The
scripts themselves are GPL'ed. Some tools are GPL'ed too. LaTeX and
many other tools are under LPPL. Some files are under Knuthian "rename
if you change this" license.

Do you need me to repeat this slowly?

--
Good luck

-Boris

Who will take care of the world after you're gone?