Re: GPL exception for the OpenSSL library

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:21:34AM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
> 	I believe that the copyright statement is not a part of the
> license.  The copyright statement is merely informational text, in
> countries that are Berne convention signatories, is it not?  I have been
> under the impression that the license is the stuff following the
> copyright statement which outlines your rights and restrictions _in_
> _addition_ to standard copyright.
>
> 	Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong.  A copyright notice can exist without an attached
license and vice versa.

Especially given that (in theory), a license has the same force
regardless of the identity of the copyright holder, I think it would
make sense for the exception to quote the OpenSSL license, but not its
copyright notices.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    America is at that awkward stage.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    It's too late to work within the