Re: anyone up for a project?

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

On the other hand pieces like the first one "We would prefer you not to
distribute modified versions of it and not to ask
for assembly or other microcode source." are definately warning flags.  As
Manoj indicates their request is just that but it walks a fine line.

-----
        The firmware contained herein as keyspn_usa19qi_fw.h is

                Copyright (C) 1999-2001
                Keyspan, A division of InnoSys Incorporated ("Keyspan")

        as an unpublished work. This notice does not imply unrestricted or
        public access to the source code from which this firmware image is
        derived.  Except as noted below this firmware image may not be
        reproduced, used, sold or transferred to any third party without
        Keyspan's prior written consent.  All Rights Reserved.

        Permission is hereby granted for the distribution of this firmware
image as part of a Linux or other Open Source operating system kernel
        in text or binary form as required.

        This firmware may not be modified and may only be used with
        Keyspan hardware.  Distribution and/or Modification of the
        keyspan.c driver which includes this firmware, in whole or in
        part, requires the inclusion of this statement."
-----

Aren't the restrictions to distribution (only with 'Open Source' kernels in text and binary form) and use restriction (may not be modified and may only be used with Keyspan hardware) too much restrictions under the DFSG?

At least I feel it violates DFSG 2 and 3. I don't like the use restriction and think it might violate DFSG 6, with the interpretation that me using this firmware to program some off the shelf parts is
against the license.

Could DFSG 9 be applied to the restrictions to distribution in the license?

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/