Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 10:22:26AM -0400, Michael Stutz wrote:
> The DSL is a license that already exists for this purpose:
> http://dsl.org/copyleft/dsl.txt
>
> It is a copyleft license that can be used for any kind of work, as
> recognized by copyright law. In particular, it has been used for
> published books.

I'll take a closer look at it, but at first glance I don't like this:

        6. ACCEPTANCE.

        Copying, distributing or modifying the Work (including but not
        limited to sampling from the Work in a new work) indicates
        acceptance of these terms.

The only thing that can indicate my acceptance of a contractual
agreement is my signature.

You might as well say, "Going to bed at 10PM indicates acceptance of
these terms."

You do not have the right under copyright law to unilaterally dictate
the terms of my acceptance of your license.

More to the point, I can copy, distribute, or modify the Work under
certain conditions due to Fair Use exceptions to copyright irrespective
of your assertions to the contrary.

Thanks for pointing it out, though.  I had heard of the DSL but had not
yet researched it.

Also, by the way, you quote fairly liberally from the GNU GPL.  I wonder
if *your* actions fall under a Fair Use exception...(or did you
negotiate with the FSF and receive permission to create a derivative
work of the GNU GPL?)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Please do not look directly into