Re: OT: extracting a public-domain part from an anthology

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> writes:

> [*] I once wanted a reliable text of some Edgar Allan Poe. There were
> versions all over the web, of course, but they were all slightly
> different. I made a list of the differences and consulted a microfilm
> copy of an original edition in Cambridge university library to resolve
> them. I invested several hours work into that exercise, so maybe I
> could, as a sort of amateur textual critic, claim copyright in the
> final result.

This is incorrect.  Whether you can claim copyright has nothing to do
with how much effort went into the process.

What you did was prepare an accurate electronic text of that
microfilm, and since the microfilm was not copyrighted, and your
process was mechanical--you could have just typed it directly--you
didn't do anything to which copyright can attach.