Re: Licesing question regarding a new package named isdn2h323

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:38:13AM +0200, Torsten Knodt wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm currently packaging a program named isdn2h323. The problem is, that they
> have added a kind of advertisement clause to the GPL. ftp-master James Troup
> blieves, that this is an extra restriction to section 6 of the GPL.
> The exact added text is the following:
>  |        "You have the right to use and modify isdn2h323 only
>  |      if the copyright messages as defined in the file 'config.h'
>  |      appear at the following places: the HTML pages created by
>  |      isdn2h323 during runtime, the syslog system, the call log
>  |      e-mails sent to the users. Additionally, the display of
>  |      telos' logo defined in 'ad.h' via H.261 may not be replaced
>  |      by other still images but only by actual user video."
> The upstream author, as well as me, is of the opinion, that this is
> 1) not really a restriction
> and
> 2) his right as author
> .

Irrespective of that, I am told that the program uses parts of the openh323
project, and they are licensed such that any "larger work" incorporating
them *must* use the MPL, as they do. If this is the case, then the author
may not distribute it under the GPL at all in any case.

Maybe you could clarify this?

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
This life is yours.  Some of it was given to you; the rest, you made yourself.