Re: GPL compatibility of DFCL

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 02:36:35PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:43:17PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > Hmm, probably want to extend that to include the LGPL.

> Do you *really* need to allow the doc to be distributed under the GPL?

Well, I think so, yes.

People might incorporate DFCLed documentation into a C file.  Think of
standards documents, or just damn good manuals and damn poorly commented
code.

If you can convince me that the GPL will let us mingle just any old
licensed thing into GPLed C files without a problem, then no, we don't
need GPL compatibility.

But that's going to be a tough sell.  :)

> If the FSF don't believe it's appropriate for docs to be GPLed, then
> surely they don't regard it as essential that docs contained within a
> package of GPLed software be GPLed?

Uh, I'll try to put this diplomatically, but I don't believe the FSF is
being entirely consistent on issues surrounding the FDL.

> Essentially what I am getting at is the fact that just because a doc and
> a program are shipped in the same tarball, does this really mean that
> you need to try to cover them with the same license?

If they're just distributed together in tarball -- if it's just "mere
aggregation", then probably not, no.  However, see above.  The document
might mingle with the source more than that.  Free music, images, or
textures might be integrated tightly into a game, for instance.

Remember, the DFCL isn't just for manuals.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The basic test of freedom is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    perhaps less in what we are free to