Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:18:08PM -0700, Mark Rafn wrote:

> I read Branden's message as not wanting to put Debian's name on a license
> unless it is adequately and unambiguously free, and therefore always meets
> the DFSG, not that he wants to work around some flaw in the DFSG.

> The DFSG defines the spirit of the license we're looking for.  A license
> needs to be found/created that fits it, rather than modifying the DFSG to
> fit some license.

Exactly. The spirit. I'm not advocating that anyone should lightly consider
modifying the DFSG. I'm just pointing out that it would be a shame to end
up creating a useless license for the sake of complying with guidelines
which may or may not have been written with that license's application in
mind, should it turn out that creating a useful one is not possible whilst
complying with those guidelines.

Anyway, I trust Branden to Do The Right Thing, so I don't think we're going
to serve any useful purpose by going to far with this.

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Tomorrow will be cancelled due to lack of interest.