Re: Documentation licenses (GFDL discussion on debian-legal)

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Martin Wheeler wrote:
> And to those who would say: "There's no difference between software and
> documentation" I would reply -- sorry, but you really know nothing about
> writing; specifically, _why_ writers write.

It would be very instructive to hear from someone as knoweledgeable as
you.  Tell us, why do writers write?  Please limit your response to those
reasons that are different than why programmers program.

If you have similar insight into readers, please tell us why they have
less interest in having freely-modifiable documentation than program users
have in freely-modifiable software.

I apologize for my snide tone - it rankles a bit to be told I know nothing
about the topic.  However, I'm actually serious in my questions - I'd like
to understand why a software manual author needs to limit changes more
than a software author does, and why a software user would prefer free
software but not have the same preference for free documentation.

I truly have yet to hear a reason to prevent free modification of a
copyrighted work that doesn't apply as well to softare as it does to
documentation.

> One has long been a profession; the other a (necessary) amateur skill.

I'm the exact reverse - if you and I can come to agreement, we may well
have the perfect answer.