Re: Berkeley DB curious licensing practice

On Monday 28 October 2002 07:03, Bennett Todd wrote:

>    The term "redistribution" in the Berkeley DB public license means
>    your application is distributed to more than a single physical
>    location. Installing copies of an application at different
>    physical locations, whether they are customer sites or sites of a
>    single organization, is redistribution.
>
>    Examples of redistribution include:
> 	[...]
>      * Building an application that you install on your company's
>        servers in data centers around the world.
>
> I.e. your right to use Berkeley DB for free for in-house projects is
> cancelled, and you're obliged to pay them, if your in-house project
> spans multiple physical sites within your company.
>
> My gut feeling is that this is discriminatory in intent, it doesn't
> have the flavour of DFSG, but I can't quite find anything explicit
> to use to say that this should be grounds for moving Berkeley DB
> into non-free.

Looking at various licenses over time people seem to define what they mean by
"redistribute" in the license as they see fit.  I have even see people define
it as "commercial use".  Since IANAL obviously I can not make a value
judgement but wanted to add a data point to consider.