Re: LZW patented file left in .orig.tar source package?

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 09:10:32AM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>:
>
> > Debian should not be shipping -- in source or binary form -- anything in
> > "main" that isn't DFSG-free, because unless we make a good-faith effort
> > to ensure that everyting in main is DFSG-free, our users cannot make a
> > good-faith assumption that they can exercise certain freedoms with the
> > software on their Debian systems without reading every word of every
> > copyright license.
>
> Does a patent make code non-DFSG-free?
>
> Perhaps Debian says "yes", but I don't quite understand the logic.

You're jumping to conclusions.  The answer is "not necessarily".  The
license on the patented technology is such that the DFSG is violated,
then yet.  Otherwise, no.

The DFSG doesn't care what specific part of the law is used to violate
users' freedoms; it just cares whether those freedoms are violated or
not.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I had thought very carefully about
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     comitting hara-kiri over this, but