Re: license questions.

Ali Akcaagac <ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de> wrote:

> i'm writing some software for linux and right now fighting with what
> license i should use.

>                                 i don't like the idea to work for free
> knowing in the back that some companies can take the stuff and sell it
> for their own profit.

Companies can fork GPL works, but the result is still GPL'ed.  That
means they're unlikely to make a huge amount of money on that single
product (but hopefully they'll profit on distributing a large collection
of well-integrated works).

The percentage of free projects that actually get forked is very small.
If one of my works was in wide enough use to warrant a well-known fork,
I'd probably be happy to have achieved that milestone.

Peter