Licence for Kernel modules

Hi,

today I came across an article in the German magazine "Elektronik"
(20/2002, p. 82) which states that in contrary to user space apps a
kernel module must always be GPLed (refering to Linux). The argument
goes that way that a hardware driver is to be interpreted as a
modification/enhancement of the kernel and thus has to be GPLed.

Despite I don't like closed source I thought that it would be possible
to publish a closed source kernel module (as nVidia did/does).

Could I get comments on that. I would like to write to the editor of
that magazine as this statement may keep (embedded) hardware developers
away from Linux.

Regards
        Christoph

PS: please CC me as I'm currently not subscribed to d-legal