Re: License issue in libconcurrent-java

[I hope Mr. Lea doesn't mind the CC.]

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:57:47PM -0400, Steven Barker wrote:
[snip]
> I wrote Prof. Lea and asked if he has permission to distribute these
> classes, and how this permission might apply to Debian.  He sent me
> the text of a license he has signed with Sun:
> >   Copyright (c) 1994-2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights
> >   reserved. Sun hereby grants Doug Lea a non-exclusive, worldwide,
> >   non-transferrable license to use and distribute the Java Software
> >   technologies as a part of a larger work in source and binary forms,
> >   with or without modification, provided that the following conditions
> >   are met:
[snip]

> I'm a bit concerned about the word "non-transferable" and the fact
> that the license may grant permission to modify and/or distribute
> to Doug Lea but not to third parties like Debian or even me as an
> individual.

Your analysis is correct.  Unfortunately, this means that the license
fails DFSG 7 ("Distribution of License").  A shame, because it otherwise
looked DSFG-free (pretty much the BSD license, though that bit about
affirming non-usage in nuclear facilities gave me a little pause).

> Do I need to get further clairification from Sun about this?

Yes.

> The package will already be going into contrib because several of the
> classes depending on the Java2 Container API.  I just don't want it
> to be relegated to non-free (I'll remove the offending files before
> doing that).

Unfortunately, unless you can get Sun to extend a transferrable license,
you'll either have to remove the files or move the package to non-free.

> Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory