Re: what license is ?

Samuele Giovanni Tonon wrote:
> i'm making the package of a library (libevent) which has this license
> this looks like a derived form of BSD license anyway i don't know
> if i can put it under bsd license or i have to cut'n paste the license
> inside the copyright file (anyway it looks debian compatible) .
> the only difference seem to be point 3 beetween this and BSD Lic.
> What do you suggest ?

As I understand it, /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD should only be referenced
when the program is (c) The Regents of the University of California.

Fortunately this type of licenses are small enough that including it in the
copyright file should not be a problem.

>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>  *    must display the following acknowledgement:
>  *      This product includes software developed by Niels Provos.

This is the (in)famous advertising clause. You should probably ask the
author to remove it. It does not prevent the program from being
DFSG-free, but it creates a lot of problems in the long run.