Re: ITP: cinelerra (which used to be called Broadcast 2000)

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:16:20AM +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> NOTE TO -legal:  The code is released under the GPL, but with the following
> addition:
>     In addition to the GPL's warranty stipulation, Heroine Virtual Package is
>     distributed WITHOUT GUARANTEED SUPPORT; without even the guarantee of
>     ADDITIONAL LABOR.
> (The Heroine Virtual Package they refer to is the massive source tarball.)
>
> I believe this is still compliant with the DFSG, it doesn't place any
> restrictions on use or modification or distribution of the code.

Broadcast 2000 was discontinued with some confused arguments that they
were held responsible for problems with the package even though they
were giving it away as free software.

The addition seems to make that point extra strong.  I don't see how the
NO WARRANTY sections (11. and 12.) in the GPL don't cover that anyway,
except for "unless required by applicable law" parts (but then it's
unlikely that the addition can change anything about law requirements).

I believe it doesn't affect DFSG freeness, too.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44