Re: Timidity-patches eek

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 22:19, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 07:10:24PM +0200, Roberto Gordo Saez wrote:
> > I wonder how difficult will be to make a new set of patches for
> > timidity... any volunteer?
>
> The timidity patches need replacing because they're crap.  If they are
> also non-free crap, they _really_ have got to go.  In ages past, I tried
> to get in contact with the guy who put together the Chaos Bank soundfont,
> which is still the best freely-downloadable GM sample set I've heard,
> though some of the percussion could be a little stronger.

I dunno; I found Chaos Bank on www.hammersound.net and tried it. It
sounds a bit funny and some of the samples are noticeably out of tune.
I've always thought the Midia patch set was quite good, although back
when I still used a GUS I thought the Gravis one was marginally better
(and was half the size).

But thanks for the pointer. I should be able to find something with,
like, an actual license on that site.

BTW, timidity handles soundfonts perfectly. It's just not in the
documentation. If we can find a good GM soundfont, it would make a
rather better timidity-patches than the 200 .pat files it has now.

> Unfrotunately, there's no license, the host site is long gone, and the
> author seems to have been hit by a bus or something.  =(  Still, you might
> have more luck now than I did before, and it is a really good soundfont.

What *is* it with patch set authors and licenses...?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ Did you hear about the hard-working but ill sage
+- www.cowlark.com --+ halitosis.