Re: Knuth statement on renaming cm files and Licence violation.

Dylan Thurston <dpt@math.harvard.edu> writes:

> > However, use of the names is restricted:
>
> This is a slightly odd statement, since (AFAIK) names cannot be
> restricted in the ways that follow.  The crucial issue seems to be
> whether this statement (and what follows) are terms of the grant of
> permission (above), or merely a request with no force in law.

The names could only be restricted if they are trademarked, which they
are not.  "Computer Modern" might be trademarked (I don't know), but
"cmr10" certainly is not.

And, if it were trademarked, trademark restrictions never apply to
functional elements.