Re: Knuth statement on renaming cm files and Licence violation.

> Then he must be giving his earnest encouragements, and not a license,
> since the work is public domain, right?

I don't know.

I can understand the principle that if something is PD then you can't
claim licence conditions on it, however some who've indicated that they
have a better grasp of the law than I do have indicated that if you try
to simultaneously say something is PD and assert conditions then the law
will err on the side of caution and the work is in fact not PD even if
you said it was. The conditions as stated in the book (and comments in
the files) are not worded as "encouragements" they are worded as
constraints that must be followed.

David