Re: Bad license on VCG?

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 02:27:29AM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> > And given the package with which we have been provided, that is the obfuscated
> > C.
>
> I think you're the only programmer I've ever seen claim that obfuscated
> source is a preferred form for modification.  It's perfectly clear from
> the author's text that the obfuscated source is not intended to be
> modifiable, however.

Given the alternatives, it is the preferred form.

> > The definition of source is "the preferred form of the work for making
> > modifications", selected from those forms which are available to you.
>
> You're the one amending "selected from those forms which are available
> to you."  The GPL *doesn't say that*.  Maybe it's your definition of
> source, but it's not the GPL's.

I knew someone would come up with that. There is however no other reasonable
interpretation of the GPL possible.

If you take your argument to its logical conclusion then I can immediately
prevent you from distributing, say, gcc by going through the sources,
improving the comments, and refusing to distribute my new version at all.

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com