Re: aspell-nl license

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> I am curious because traditionally, copyright has been grounded on the
> degree of originality in a work, not the quantity of labor that went
> into producing it.

Indeed, but if there is any original content at all, it can be
copyrighted.  If there was any editorial selection, for example--as is
surely the case for any wordlist from a dictionary--then it's
copyrightable.  But the process itself is mechanistic, so if the
original dictionary were to enter the public domain, the word list
would go with it.