Re: aspell-nl license

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 19:27:54 +0200, Peter Makholm wrote:
> Kevin Atkinson <kevin@atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
> > There is good reason to believe this is not the case (at least in the US)
> > based on the "Feist Publications, Inc. v. Rural Telephone Service
> > Company, Inc." Supreme Court case
>
> I would be pretty sure that a phonebook is protected in the European Union
> by the Database Directive.

Probably. See http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html#directive, in
particular this bit:
:The second right, however, provides for a sui generis right that prohibits
:the extraction or reutilization of any database in which there has been a
:substantial investment in either obtaining, verification, or presentation
:of the data contents. Under this second right, there is no requirement for
:creativity or originality. In effect, this right gives databases in Europe
:the type of "sweat of the brow" protection that was explicitly rejected by
:the Supreme Court in Feist. The sui generis right lasts for fifteen years
:from the date of the database's creation.

HTH,
Ray
--
"If we put in English phrases, that makes it readable".  That's COBOL.
	Larry Wall on common fallacies of language design