Re: Advice on copyright for cdf

Mikael Hedin <mikael.hedin@gmx.net> wrote:

> [Please cc me on replies]
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging tela, and the newest version uses cdf[1] (from nasa).
> The cdf copyright[2] is basically 'only non-profit'.  However, there
> is a line about inclusion in substantive product allowint for profit.
>
> Does that aloow us to have cdf it in main?  Either as included in
> Debian, or included in the tela package.
>
> TIA,
>
> Micce
>
> [1] http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cdf/cdf_home.html
>
> [2]
> Copyright 2002
> National Space Science Data Center
> NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
>
> This software may be copied or redistributed as long as it is not sold
> for profit, but it can be incorporated into any other substantive
> product with or without modifications for profit or non-profit. If the
> software is modified, it must include the following notices:
>
>     * The software is not the original (for protection of the original
>     author's reputations from any problems introduced by others)
>
>     * Change history (e.g. date, functionality, etc.)
>
> This copyright notice must be reproduced on each copy made. This
> software is provided as is without any express or implied warranties
> whatsoever.

Someone should tell them that US government works are free.
See:

  http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#piu

  Publications Incorporating U. S. Government Works

    Works by the U. S. Government are not eligible for U. S. copyright
    protection. For works published on and after March 1, 1989, the
    previous notice requirement for works consisting primarily of one or
    more U. S. Government works has been eliminated. However, use of a
    notice on such a work will defeat a claim of innocent infringement
    as previously described provided the notice also includes a
    statement that identifies either those portions of the work in which
    copyright is claimed or those portions that constitute
    U. S. Government material.

    Example: 2002 Jane Brown. Copyright claimed in Chapters 7-10,
    exclusive of U. S. Government maps

    Copies of works published before March 1, 1989, that consist
    primarily of one or more works of the U. S. Government should have a
    notice and the identifying statement.

Or have I mistaken?

Peter