Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 10:27, Mark Rafn wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 18:56, Mark Rafn wrote:
> > > The difference is that the printf is intended to identify to the human
> > > running the program what version she has, and the registration is intended
> > > to prevent compatible derivative works.
>
> On 24 Jul 2002, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > I'm confused.  How are they incompatible?
>
> They're incompatible because the intent is to write programs that check
> this string and behave differently if it does not give the
> forbidden-in-changed-works answer.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I still don't see the incompatibility.  Can
anyone else see it?

It would be extremely helpful if you could describe your objection in
detail.  I suspect that one of us is misunderstanding the proposal in
some subtle way.