Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net> writes:

> I think here is the difference between our goals.
>
> Our community has the following model of evolution. Any change in the
> language or API are allowed as long as the full backward compatibility
> is preserved. By the full backward compatibility I mean the following:
>
>     Any legacy document will always either produce
>     exactly same output on all systems or trigger an
>     error message requesting installation                      (P)
>     of additional components (and will compile after
>     these components are installed) OR the system is not
>     called LaTeX.
>
> In our language this requirement is NOT as big burden as in other
> languages because of the properties of the language.

See, we have a different model of evolution--one much much much longer
term.

Our model is one that should not rely on any assumption that
*anything* will be static, because of a desire to think *long* term.

Consider if every package did what you say.  Then in a few centuries,
all the names are taken.  Do we want that?