Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

On 24 Jul 2002, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> printf("This is Standard LaTeX\n");
> is not allowed, and the restriction is allowed by the DFSG.

Maybe. If it's part of an API (like an HTTP header), or it's a common
practice for programs to switch on this string, I'd probably argue that
this restriction makes it non-free.

The ability to make modifications and still have programs that depend on
it still work is the fundamental freedom I'm arguing for.

> What is the difference between that and the following?
> register_std("LaTeX");
> (Which, as I understand it, is a C equivalent to the \NeedsTeXFormat
> thing.)

The difference is that the printf is intended to identify to the human
running the program what version she has, and the registration is intended
to prevent compatible derivative works.