Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net>

> > On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 21:17, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> > > The question here is how to guarantee that a changed overcite.sty
> > > (without renaming) will not be used with pristine LaTeX, right?
>
> This is insanity.  If this is the goal, just choose a nice simple license
> "this can be used and distributed verbatim at no charge, but you may not
> modify it without permission from the current maintainer".

Perhaps because LaTeX people want to give other people (basically
themselves) a couple of other rights, namely:

1. The right to use fragments, ideas or algorithms of their code in
   any way whatsoever without any limitations

2. The right to *extend* the API by adding new features, based on the
   old code.

Again, I think there is a philosophical difference between the
interpretation of the word "modification" in our communities. For you
the right to modify means "I can take the published function foo and
make it do bar if I want". For us it means "I can write a function bar
OR I can write a function baz such as after it is invoked all
functions foo in the following code actually do bar". I am afraid that
it would be difficult to achieve consensus until we understand the
truth behind each others's approach.

--
Good luck

-Boris

For years a secret shame destroyed my peace--
I'd not read Eliot, Auden or MacNiece.
But now I think a thought that brings me hope:
Neither had Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Pope.
		-- Justin Richardson.