Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

> Registering "LaTeX" as a trademark would have given you much more power
> (i.e. real power) to discourage such things without requiring such high
> standards for others wanting to play around with the code.

It wouldn't have given any protection at all to users of the package
longtable (which wasn't at that point part of the core distribution)
who were unfortunate enough to have downloaded the package from
the main US TeX archive where the file had been modified by someone (I
still don't know who) uploading an "improved" (broken) version.

> The second is outside of your power to prevent, as it (or its
> equivalent) can be done without reference to your work, and therefore
> does not fall under your legal purvey.

As I say I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that the wrapper
is done without reference to the original latex but is done (as
originally described) with reference to the derived work.
Your vesion that just aliases every program xxx to xxx-fake
could no doubt claim to to be independent of everything. So be it.
If someone wants to deliberately avoid the spirit whilst following the
letter of any agreement so as to deliberately confuse the end user, then
there is not much that can be done about that.

David