Re: LaTeX & DFSG

Jeff Licquia <licquia@debian.org> wrote:
> Still, we also have this problem with other non-copyleft licenses, such
> as BSD.  I believe there were some non-free files in XFree86 at one
> point, for example, which had to be removed from our tarball.

Debian still only has to review licenses.  It does not have to review
program structure, trying to make sure that it is still "easy" to make
modifications.

> Nevertheless, I do intend to get some mention of the filename
> substitution feature into the LPPL in some way or another, to ensure
> that the LPPL file rename feature only applies to software with this
> ability.  Does that allay your concern?

Every type of program can be fooled into thinking that something is
different from what it appears.  It is just that in some cases it is
"easy" (whatever that means) to fool some programs some of the time.
So no, it doesn't allay my concerns.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu