Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

Javier Bezos writes:

 > > Freedom includes the right to do things that you (and even I) think
 > > are stupid.  Debian stands for freedom.
 >
 > And lppl is intended to give you the right to do stupid things (yes
 > you can do them), but without perjudicing the right of all latex
 > users to have a latex working correctly and with documents which
 > can be distributed freely.

may I suggest a change of one word in Javier's reply:

 not "working correctly"

 but "working indentically"

as long as the starting point is the LaTeX format. If a fork (which is allowed
and simple without any file cascading problems) happens on the that starting
point then the above isn't any longer true, but then a user who runs with
"pslatex" or "pdflatex" or "debianlatex" knows that he doesn't get that.

it is not that the LPPL tries to enforce "the best way" on the level of an
individual package and i think at least to some here this is the suspicion
still. please for get that. lppl simply ensures that a latex package licensed
under it has a fair chance to be used in "latex" documents all over the world
with identical output (no assumption on how good that package is or anything).

frank